It isn't easy being green - especially when you're urban and love Thai take out. But I'm sure gonna try.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Eco Friendly Lunches Take 2

Continuing on with my series on trying to lessen lunch waste, here is:

Tip #2: Reusable Containers



For wet snacks: consider small stainless steel or plastic storage containers. Again, if you're going with plastic, make sure your products are BPA-free and have the numbers 2, 4 or 5 on the bottom. My two favorite brands are Sistema and Decor which are available at The Container Store. They seem to be easy enough for my kids to open and close on their own. Some other brands to consider: Tupperware, Rubbermaid, Fit and Fresh, Inate, and Kid Konserve. Fit and Fresh is especially nice because some of their containers come with thin, ice packs that snap right into the lids and are not bulky. Kid Konserve costs more and is heavier, but being stainless steel, alleviates leaching plastic concerns.

For hot lunches, nothing beats an old-fashioned Thermos. The Funtainer line comes in various patterns and designs.


For dry snacks and sandwiches: consider snack bags and snack wraps, which can easily replace plastic wrap, aluminum foil, and Ziplocs.

Available in various sizes, designs and fabrics, they are often lined with a more hearty fabric, like nylon, to keep food from leaking and staining.

I particularly like Moja Creations at Etsy.com because of their wide range of sizes and fabric designs. Etsy has many other snack bag designers, but we've had mixed luck with durability. I like throwing these in the laundry, and if they can't hold up to washing and drying, they aren't a good investment.

We also like Snack Taxis and Reusies available at Reusit.com. Both of these have held up well to washing and wear.

Candidly speaking, I'm not quite as sold on lunch wraps. While I love that they provide a clean place mat for your child to eat on, the sandwiches don't stay quite as fresh as they do in plastic wrap or foil. (I am cringing even as I admit this.) For a while, I switched back to aluminum foil, but now I'm putting sandwiches in storage containers with covers, and that seems to do the trick!

2 comments:

  1. I wrap sandwiches in wax paper. How do you think that compares with plastic and aluminum from an environmental standpoint? I also buy the thicker freezer plastic bags (Hefty One Zip) and wash them over and over again. They last a long time. Do you know how that stacks up? I have always wondered. Your Dad told me about your blog--what a nice Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Carolyn, He IS a great Dad! I think if the wax paper is making it to compost or recycling it's fine, but most likely it's ending up in the trash - especially if it is going to work or school. And once in a sealed trash bag none of those wrappers can break down, so they all contribute to excess landfill. In our town you can recycle aluminum foil, but my daughter never remembers to bring it home. I, too, use those hefty Ziplocs, and I do wash and reuse them. I find them great for the freezer. I think it is a question of finding balance. For daily school lunches, I love that I can keep reusing this snack gear over and over again. My daughters' lunches are 95% waste free most days. If you saw the amount of trash one school generates at each meal, you would be appalled. Thanks for writing! I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete